The members of WASSA have suggested the following links to help educate the sheltie owner about all aspects of owning this wonderful breed. These websites are strictly for educational purposes, and are sites that our own members have found useful. These are intended to be general guidelines only, that we hope will enhance your experience of having a sheltie as a member of your family.
WASSA itself does not suggest or endorse any particular medical links, training methods or corporation, etc. nor are we responsible for any information or advice contained therein.
Please note these websites will open in a new window.
- The Canadian Shetland Sheepdog Association - The CSSA is the National Parent Club for Shelties in Canada
The American Shetland Sheepdog Association - ASSA is the U.S. National Parent Club for Shelties in the United States.
Everything Sheltie - Everything Shelties provides a full range of information for Shetland Sheepdog Lovers
- The Sheltie Nation Forum - The largest community of Sheltie Lovers on the Internet!
Sheltie Bloodlines - Sue Ann Bowling's exhaustive research into top producing bloodlines, color inheritance, genetics, history and more...
Pacesetter Magazine - A great magazine for Sheltie Lovers
Sheltie International Magazine - Another Great Magazine for Sheltie Lovers!
- The Canadian Kennel Club - Incorporated under the Animal Pedigree Act, the CKC registers purebred dogs in Canada, regulates dog shows and performance events, and promotes the interest of purebred dog fanciers in Canada. The Manitoba Director for the Canadian Kennel Club is Larry Kereluke. He can be contacted directly through his website at larrykereluke.com
- Manitoba Dogs - A website dedicated to the dog fancy in Manitoba. Information about local and breed clubs and upcoming events.
- Canine-Canada - A website providing information about responsible breeding practices.
- Vaccination Protocols - Dr. W. Jean Dodds is an internationally recognized authority on vaccination protocols in dogs. This link is provided for information only and should be used in consultation with your own veterinarian.
- Sheltie Health Survey - Health records and statistics for the health of Shetland Sheepdogs.
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals - Dedicated to the advancement of canine health, collecting and offering information about orthopedic and other genetic conditions in dogs.
- Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) - A centralized database of health information for owners, breeders, and scientists
- The Canine Eye Registry Foundation (CERF) - A registry of purebred dogs that have been certified free of inheritable eye disease.
- Canine Inherited Disorders Database (CIDD) - A comprehensive database of genetic conditions, providing information to owners and breeders, and to facilitate the best management possible of these conditions by providing current information to veterinarians.
- The Dog Whisperer - Cesar Milan has been called a Dr. Phil for dogs, and for good reason. Cesar's amazing rehabilitation of aggressive, scared, lazy, compulsive, and jealous dogs captured the national spotlight when his National Geographic Channel (NGC) series Dog Whisperer premiered in September 2004. Regular viewers soon came to realize it wasn't the dogs but the quirky owners who needed Cesar's help the most.
- Control Unleashed- Leslie McDevitt, MLA, CDBC, CPDT is a Certified Dog Behaviour Consultant through the International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants and a Certified Professional Dog Trainer through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
- Great Pets - GreatPets.com and My Smart Puppy is a user-friendly resource of puppy and dog training information. Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson have been training dogs for over 50 years combined. Articles on housebreaking, mouthing, chewing, jumping up, pulling on lead, aggression and much more all written in easy-to-understand, easy-to-apply formats.
- Dog Star Daily! - Dog Star Daily! is a free website for dog lovers — a daily magazine
with news, blogs and articles about dog behaviour; a comprehensive
digital dog training textbook, with everything you need to know about
raising or training your puppy or dog and especially, how to prevent or
fix most common behaviour problems; plus a place to share photos and
videos of your favourite canine companions, with new content and
features added on a regular basis.